1.27.2006

so weird!

so, jen "tagged" me, which I feel stupid even writing. oh well. she did. to say it in jargon, "it is what it is."

anyways. 5 things that are weird about me. and I have to limit it to 5?

okay. I'll start with this one, as it is just so ironic that jen, the space lady, is the one who asked. I am afraid of telescopes. to the extent that I have only gathered the courage to look in one once before, at the franklin institute. after holding someone's hand while taking deep breaths, I looked - and found that because of the time of day and/or angle of things, it was trained on a nearby office building. I saw a copier. I don't know what it is about them, I just get freaked out. I guess it's just that for me, *knowing* that things exist outside of our little earth cocoon and SEEING it are two very different things. I have the same misgivings with microscopes for the same reason, but I guess since it's less heady to accept (at least to me) I am able to put it aside and take a look. but it's always with a deep breath and an accelerated heartbeat. oddly enough, before I became a mother, I was off to college to become a biologist. biology was my favorite subject in high school. go figure. at least it wasn't astronomy.

number 2. I like everything to be straight. I am not OCD, but I am pretty fanatical about things being straight. it's more on my desk than things in my home, (as anyone who has been to my home can attest) but even there I have my issues. I am a big fan of everything in its right place, to the extent that sometimes at work I cannot concentrate if there is something amiss in my immediate surrounding. maybe this is why I hated working from home so much. I just like to have everything organized and STRAIGHT.

number 3. I love infected wounds. I'm not going to go into much detail here, but I think maybe after my midlife crisis in a few years, I may rededicate myself to being some sort of doctor. a doctor that lances boils or digs out ingrown toenails. ask sean. I really do love it. and I love to peel skin. I'm way more fanatical about peeling skin than I am about anything else. if I see someone who is sunburnt and peeling, even if I don't know them, I have to resist the urge to run up to them and start ripping their skin off. seriously. it's a real problem. sean is usually good for a nice burn at least once a summer, and I am all over him like a cheap whore at a banker's convention trying to pick at it until he finally relents and allows me to peel him like a banana. is that weird or just gross? please don't answer that. and please forget I wrote this paragraph.

number 4. I prefer listening to pop music from the 70s to almost all current popular music.

number 5. my biggest "vice" is drinking soda. I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol, I don't drink coffee. I guess I would probably make a good mormon, except for the sex part. I think I would probably be a huge smoker if I allowed myself to be, and I'd probably become addicted pretty quickly to coffee if I allowed myself to be as well. the alcohol, I don't know. my parents drink nearly every day, but never ever get drunk. like wine or beer with dinner, and that's it. however, they both have alot of alcoholics in their families, including some of their parents. especially on my mom's side. it's more of an addictive personality than anything else, I think. I get addicted to things quite easily, though it's balanced out by my extremely fickle nature.

so I guess I'm kind of a freakish OCD wussy priss. aren't you glad do you don't have to live with me every day?

11 validations:

Missuz J said...

I'm with ya on 2 out of three. I love to peel skin--and other gross kinds of things like that, and I love 70's pop music.

You're on your own with those other things. My desk is a series of piles and messes. I WANT it to be clean. I just can't seem to MAKE it be clean. No problem here with telescopes, unless they're trained on me, and other than a random Pepsi here and there (preferably mixed with vanilla Barardi) am not that big of a soda drinker.

Stine said...

I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who likes to peel sunburns. I like popping zits too, but that's a whole nuther post.

Very interesting about the telescopes.

Gary Daring said...

i like to read disgusting blog entries and throw up in my mouth and swallow it.

NME said...

Yup - those are wierd. And the peeling pussy stuff is gross. I also find it wierd that you prefer processed cheese to regular cheese - particular since I have a freakish aversion to overly processed foods. It makes me feel ill to even think aobut those individually wrapped processed slices.

the beige one said...

peeling pussy stuff

WHAT?

I don't remember that in the post.

the beige one said...

oh. pus-y puss-filled.

how embarrassing.

Jen said...

The telescope/microscope thing kind of blows my mind, but it is definitely very interesting.

Like you, I have no real vices, but I don't drink any soda or caffienated beverages at all. I do enjoy beer and wine sometimes, but I wouldn't call it a vice.

~A~ said...

*LOL* I can relate to 3 out of 5.

Although I'm not a total skin peeling type person I do feel myself gravitated towards people with sunburns to give them some of my "potion", herbal slave I make but the kids call it potion. People think I'm wacked till they see it works.

You don't seem too weird to me. Except that straight thing. I'm total chaos, love to organize things, just can't maintain it for long.

Kathryn said...

I am big on things being at right angles and centered. Mostly furniture. If the coffee table has been bumped I feel an urgent need to straighten it right away before the universe spins out of control. But somehow the pile of shit on top and all around it doesn't bother me one bit.

Kathryn said...

Ooh, processed cheese isn't even FOOD!

Kodi said...

I pick the dead skin off my toes. Now that is disgusting. I think you're pretty normal, though the telescope thing is a bit unique