7.18.2005

friends are relatives you make for yourself

so today I want to say happy birthday to someone I consider just like a sister. from the first time we met in 9th grade, I knew we'd be lifelong friends.

actually, that's totally not true. the knowing we'd be lifelong friends part, I mean. see, back then, we were all over the place. at first, nicole was a little unsure of her place in the world, a little worried that her boobs weren't big enough, and a little too reliant on turtleneck/vest combos. you see how things have changed so dramatically?? I, on the other hand, was oblivious to most things, yet nosy, and a worry wart. so some things never change. but over the years, especially the last 6 or 8 of them, we've grown immensely closer together. it's so nice to have a friend that can remember last weekend with you and remember 10th grade english with you. who can understand a stupid reference to a nailpolish color you used to use when you were 15. who knows what you mean when you say "as squeaky clean as beth conrad."

this year, she turns 31. and I'm proud to say that I knew her when she turned 16 (with the mustangs) and 18 (getting ready for pitt) and 21 (when we'd lost touch) and 30 (when she knew she was pregnant finally). and I hope to know her when she turns 40 (with the spontaneous shrinking of her rack) and 65 (with a few kids to throw her a big party) and 120 (when she's just a brain in a jar attached to a computer, just like me.)

So, without further ado, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NICOLE!!

6 validations:

NME said...

You are so funny, so smart, so much fun - and your friendship means the world to me. It's fantastic to recognize that as we have changed and grown over the years - with shifts in musical tastes, fashion preferences, occupations, world views, values - that we still really enjoy each other's companionship for who we are beneath the labels. I'll love you always, sister. Even if you become a Scientologist.

amandak said...

You guys are really lucky to have a friendship like that. And we're lucky to be able to share in it, a little bit anyways.

Kodi said...

I feel so fortunate in my friends as well. Lets hear it for all those bosom buddies who know our dirty secrets and our greatest accomplishments. Hip, hip horray!!!!

Missuz J said...

Good girl friends are so hard to make--and to keep. Congratulations on building and maintaining your friendship. Oh. And Patrice? I won't still love you if you become a Scientologist. Sorry.

NME said...

Missuz J - Excellent point about maintaining a friendship. I think many people don't realize that all lasting meaningful relationships sometimes take a bit of work.

Gary Daring said...

i just spit up on my bib.