6.27.2005

the weight thing

I just wanted to say - it's all relative! I read some of the comments on my last post, and 140 is definitely relative. I'm BARELY 5'3". I am almost 10 lbs over what's considered healthy weight. 10 lbs is 10 lbs and it's damn hard to lose. unless you're like 400 lbs and then 10 lbs is really nothing. but none of us are 400 lbs. and that's just to get to the high end of healthy weight - I'd like to lose 15. just like most of us.

it's all relative. now you guys all post on your blogs about how you never have a problem reaching stuff on the top shelves or seeing over people at shows, and then I can comment on how I'm envious. okay? we all friends?

2 validations:

dasereht said...

Another weight-related comment is probably the last thing you or anyone else wants to read, but I've been in the boat you're in, so bear with me. It is all relative.

I've never been embarrassed to disclose my weight, because let's face it: if you're 200 pounds, saying you're 150 isn't going to make it so. Fat, being inconveniently stored on your body and all, is pretty good at giving you away. That said, I sometimes get uncomfortable when I mention that I want to lose 10 pounds (and oh, I do), and someone asks me what I weigh. When I tell her (it's always a woman; men just don't ask), I'm around 120, the response I often get is something along the lines of, "Oh my god! You sooooo don't need to lose weight. 120 is nothing!" The thing that frustrates me is that many of these women are "skinnier" than I am. Sure, they may weigh more, but they also wear a smaller clothing size and look better in it, because they're taller and better-proportioned than I am.

I'm just a hair over 5' tall. My weight range says I should be 104-115 lbs. 110 is right in the middle, so I think it's a reasonable goal for me. Would someone tell me I'm fine at 120 if I were 4'10"? How about 4'8"?

You look great, but if you feel like you need to lose 10 lbs. AND you're being healthy about it, then I think we'll all be rooting for you.

Kathryn said...

Yeah! What she said!