6.26.2005

The Memory Test

Hello! Sean here (I forgot to say that it was me when I posted "Weight [A Moment]"...sorry for the confusion). On the plus side, you get a double post from me today. This one has nothing to do with the burdens of testing or weight gain. This is a funny story that happened to me the other day which pertains to embarassment in the workplace caused by my iPod toting character of a father.

I haven’t told anyone about this yet because it just happened yesterday as I was leaving work. There I was trying to clean out my inbox before I shut down my PC and leave for the day when I see this email from dad with a link. The link is for some sort of a game involving a memory test, so I announce to my co-worker, who is a woman from Panama, that I’m going to take the memory test before I leave for the day. Harmless, right? Usually, my dad sends me links to the top 100 movie quotes of all time or funny little jokes or animation shorts where a little Cajun chef imitates Lou Bega singing "Gumbo # 5". You get the picture.

So, I click on the link and the test begins after I click on a ball which will be hidden under one of three cups. The object of the test is to follow the cups to see if I can follow where the ball goes. As soon as the cups start moving around, a moving image of a big breasted woman appears below the cups (why didn't I see this coming?). What is she doing but shimmying and jiggling and shaking her boobs around like that scene from Airplane! I guess it was supposed to distract me from remembering where the ball was. Who knows what she did next because literally 2 seconds after this image appears, I “X” out of the window as to not offend my co-worker, who is watching the whole time. Panicking with red face, I said, “Now we can’t have that up at the work place, can we?” in a real short and shaky Chevy Chase-type voice. After that, I immediately turned to her and said, “Sorry if I offended you.” As I’m hoping that I won’t lose my job on the grounds of inappropriate web use or sexual harassment or some other complaint to HR, my co-worker starts cracking up laughing her ass off at the image and my face and how I handled it and everything else comical about it.

I was so relieved, but I was still a little pissed that my dad sent something like that to my work address with no warning. I was also shocked that I was even able to access such a site from work. I guess that one kind of slipped by the list of restricted sites. It just goes to show you that my parents (as well as many other parents I’m sure) still have no clue about email/internet etiquette and what's appropriate…especially in the workplace. Classic moment, though. I’m glad my job isn’t in jeopardy and that she was the only one in the room, which is a non-cubicle environment. Imagine a supervisor or manager or tight ass being there? I did announce what I was doing before the embarrassment, so calling attention to it makes it that much more hilarious I guess.

Afterward, I responded to my dad’s email. Here's what it said:

Yo dad!

What the hell man? I’m at work here! My female co-worker watched me do the concentration test. She was deeply offended, and my job is now at risk!

Nah, just kidding. I did have to close it right away because it was kind of inappropriate for the workplace, but at least she’s cool and we got a good laugh out of it. Luckily, there were no managers or sups or tight asses in the room. Give me a heads up next time you send me a link like that because I do most of my email from work.

Love,

Sean

As you can see, I spared him some immediate guilt out of love by telling him that he shouldn’t worry because my co-worker was cool about it. In fact, she wanted me to forward it to her so that she could forward it to her husband. I said, “Okay, but you didn’t get it from me” as I deleted my signature (as if that would elimnate me from any trace of it). This crazy interweb kills me sometimes. “There’s no need to argue. Parents just don’t understand!”

2 validations:

Missuz J said...

My worst work/internet story is when I was doing some research for a unit I was teaching on Brazil (Because of lack of staff, I had to teach geography for 2 semesters.) Anyhoo, my boss came in right when a picture slipped by our fire wall of nude nude naked chicks dancing down the street for what I assume was carnival.

hazel said...

HAAA! you didn't tell me this story! that's classic. nicely done, bill - nicely done.