6.19.2005

Happy Father's Day!

Hello. Sean's back bloggin' with his one-paragraph style (I try to break it up once in a while). Where have I been? What's my excuse for being away? I wasn't in Vegas or anything. Oh wait, I was busy holding the fort down. I guess, first, I have to answer my "tagged" questions:

If I could be a painter, I would stick with it instead of quitting to join a politcal cult that does nothing for me but give me false belief that the "organization" will make the world a better place by recruiting college kids to sit around singing German choir and reciting Socrates and quoting FDR...

If I could be a chef, I would work in Washington DC and make it my mission to spit in the food of Dubya, Dick and Donald...and hell, why not Condoleeza?

If I could be a linguist, I would eat lots of fettucini alfredo and make bad jokes that I am a linguine-ist in my spare time.

Since you all have been tagged, and I can't think of anyone else to tag, then I'll just complete a fourth scenario instead.

If I could be a world famous blogger, I would idolize Dave Mustaine.

Now that we're past that order of business, I would like to tell you about a large amount of pressure I've been feeling. I am bummed that I'm sitting here at work during my first biological Father's Day, but something is keeping me from worrying about that. I'm up for a promotion next month, but in order to get it, I have to pass a grueling 100+ question test in 5 hours or less in order to earn it. What ever happened to getting promoted because management thinks I'm the best for the job? Not where I work. So, my livelihood, intergrity, career pursuit and financial gain all hang in the balance and will be determined by how well I do on this comprehensive test that covers every single facet of my job along with some things that we never cover. I thought that my test-taking days were over when I graduated college, but apparently not. My friend, Joe, told me that he had to take a test to get promoted while working for a bank, so I suppose it's not so uncommon. I just hate that, at this stage of life, such important life-altering moments come down to a TEST! The good part about working today is that a co-worker of mine, who will be out of the department by the time I'm taking the test, is here now, and today is his last time we're working together not under the watchful eye of management. I'm gonna get as much information out of him as I possibly can along with others here who have been tested. If you don't see many posts from me in the next month, then you'll know that I'm reading posts occassionally but mostly studying my butt off so that I can bring more bread home for my family. The date is July 18. Wish me luck!
Because I can't think of anything else right now due to the importance of this test (I even have reoccurring nightmares that I'm back in school at the end of a semester and have failed everything because I haven't studied an inkling), I'm gonna end this post, but before I do, I want to wish all of the fathers and spouses of mothers who read regularly a happy Father's Day (belated by one day since you are all probably off today and will be reading this one day after the fact). Working weekends bites sometimes.

3 validations:

Missuz J said...

I hope when you got home today, Bella had a great big smile just for dad. Testing anxiety is the total shits. This sounds odd, but when I teach my ACT prep class, I have the kids buy a special ring or bracelet--even lip balm--just some "thing". Then, whenever they are in a particularly grounded or happy or self-esteem friendly place, they twist the ring, or put on the lip balm. Whatever the "thing" is. Then--of course, on the test day, they kind of invoke their good luck charm. Not unlike Pavlov and his salavating dogs I suppose. All reports have been positive. Of course, it could just be a bunch of horse shit.

NME said...

Hope Sean had a very Happy Father's Day - at least after work.
Testing does stink. Can you retest if you are unhappy with the results?

You are a very smart guy and I'm sure you will do really well. And your test day is my birthday - so one of my birthday wishes is for you to kick ass on that test.

Jen O. said...

Happy Father's Day (a day late), Sean. You're a wonderful father and just a great all-around kinda guy.