10.26.2005

Gratitude and Hockey

Sean here. First, I want to say how flattered and touched I am to read all of your nice compliments about me. I mean, I never even met some of you, and for those I have met and see frequently…well, let’s just say that it’s always nice to hear positive feedback about ME!!!! Getting such compliments makes me want to continue being the best person that I can be. So, thanks again to Patrice for such a detailed post about me, and thank you for your great comments. You made my day. In a later post, I intend to reveal 13 facts about Patrice that you may not know.

It’s so funny because right now, as I type, that song “It’s Been A While” by Staind is on the radio, and that’s all I can think about since I haven’t posted in a while (that and snuffing it because of how bad this song/band is). In the blogosphere, this will be the second time I referenced this dreadful song to describe my absence. Sorry I’ve been away so long. I mean, I’ve been here all along, but I just haven’t said anything. I’ve been reading what everyone says, and it makes me value who I am, who I’m with, where I am, and what I have. Furthermore, it makes me want to meet those of you who I haven’t met yet. Maybe someday. For those of you who I see frequently, I’ll be on your doorstep very soon, and I will be menacing!

My latest is that October has me in the best of moods. We’re getting ready for Bellaween, which is nowhere near as stressful as wedding planning. In the meantime, hockey is back, and Bella is a fan of the black and orange in more than once sense. Trent and I took Bella to her first Flyers game a few Saturday s ago. We watched a 5-1 pounding of the NY Islanders which included some suddenly impressive goals and a brutal Donald Brashear fight. She was startled a few times by the sudden noise of the crowd, but overall, she was happy and excited to be there. As normal as it felt to have her there, we got many weird looks by people, who I guess weren’t used to seeing a child that young at a hockey game so soon. As it turns out, she wasn’t the youngest in attendance. In the parking lot, we met a family with a 10 month old boy sporting the orange and black. And coincidentally, we ran into my dad’s girlfriend’s daughters (or, my almost stepsisters), who picked Bella out of a crowd of people and were screaming her name. It was unexpected and strange, but it was good to see them. It was even stranger to see Erin from Season 3 of The Apprentice working for the arena as an emcee. When we saw her, I recognized her immediately. Trent didn’t think it was her, but I was positive. When we took our intermission walk, I saw her on the concourse, and I said “Hello Erin.” She said “hello” back, but she had this weird look on her face like she was trying to remember if I went to high school with her. Either that, or she was wondering, “What is a baby doing here?”

About the game, Bella loved the contrast of the players against the ice and their fast-paced action. We were in prime view of that 2nd level LED border that shows all of the cool graphics to get the crowd excited and informed, so she was fixated on that pretty often. She wasn’t too impressed with the fan-o-vision, but she loved the loud music. I heard a few people behind us laughing while she danced to Pantera’s “Walk”. I put her down a few times, which wasn’t the cleanest scenario, but that’s what wipes are for. Being in the front row of the 2nd level, there was a half concrete/half glass barrier that she could lean against. This proved to be a better balancing medium than, say, another hockey spectator, so we took advantage of the fact that nobody sat in front of us. She liked to dance to the music and bang on the glass and scream when things got rowdy. Trent and I remarked about how convenient it was for someone with a baby to sit where we were. Trent thinks that those sections should be reserved for babies. At the very least, he thinks that certain sections should be closed off for babies sort of like those glass boxes in the back of churches where people can corral their babies and get their God on while not having their child noises interfere with the praising of the lord. Anyway, parking was $10, cheesteaks, fries, 1 soda and 1 beer was $26, but the memory was priceless! When are they going to do away with that MasterCard advertising campaign anyway?

I was going to write more in this post, but because it is already too long, then it’s time for…dud dud dud dah!!! Multiple posts! Stay tuned for facts about Patrice! I know you can’t wait!

6 validations:

hazel said...

I can't wait! I want to know more about me!!

I forgot to talk about that hockey game so I'm glad you did. yay october!

Kathryn said...

It's always good to hear from Sean. Hi Sean! A little hockey baby, how cute. CanaMa keeps saying she's going to turn the shrimp into one of those.

The phrase "get their God on" is one of the greatest things I've read, maybe ever.

lonna said...

YOu guys are so brave when it comes to taking Bella places. We were and still are afraid to take Dermot to so many places. He's just not willing to stay near us. I'm glad that Bella enjoyed the hockey game. That sounds right up a baby's alley, and I never would have thought of it. Des Moines just started a non-NHL team, but I haven't heard much about it. I'm from Chicago and the Blackhawks always sucked so bad, that we just didn't pay much attention to hockey. It was too painful.

Jen said...

I too, am really glad Hockey is back. I hope the Stanley cup gets to stay in Florida again, though. Last summer I actually got to see the cup at work, because the General Manager of The Tampa Bay Lightning chose to tour it around Kennedy Space Center for his "day with the cup." It was pretty cool. I had seen the one that is at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto before, but never the real one that the players get until then.

Stine said...

Yes, Patrice facts please.

rob said...

PLEEEEEEEEASE let's be rid of the Mastercard ads!

Although, they make me vomit in my mouth only a little less than, say, Robert DeNiro's AmEx commercial.

Hockey watching babies = Adorable.

Or, as they would say in France, Adorable.