7.07.2005

vacation, all I ever wanted

what a slacker I've been these last few days. you know? sure, monday was a holiday and yesterday I "posted" pictures, but where's the beef?

here's the beef.

tomorrow I am taking a day off from life. really, it's only going to amount to a few hours away from life, but it is something, at least. sean is going to atlanta to see a college friend for the weekend, and I took off work. bella is going to daycare. trent will be home but I'm giving him strict instructions that if I am in the house, to pretend I don't exist. which, for a 12 year old boy, is not that difficult.

but...I have no idea what to do with myself. I know I have to dye my hair. it's getting quite necessary. and not just from the gray standpoint. the last stupid hair dye I used I think I mentioned - it was this washes-out-in-4-minutes red, which has long since washed out and left my hair a very faded strawberries and mud color. it's not pretty. in fact, a guy at work today stared at it while I was talking to him. now, women tend to do that when my roots are a little, shall we say, noticeable, but men? men don't usually care one lick about that stuff. especially the man who was looking at it. so it's gotta be pretty bad.

other than dyeing my hair, though, I have no clue what to do. it's gotta be something that I can do in a few hours, that will make me feel COMPLETELY different about my life, that I could never do with my kids in tow, and that can justify taking a precious day off work to do. in short, absolutely nothing will fit this bill. there are plenty of things I'd like to do that fill most of these requirements, but not all. some of the things I'm considering are also illegal, so I guess we should add to the list "must be legal." that narrows it down.

part of me wants to just stay in bed and sleep. or read. nicole suggested I get a pedicure, but I'm really not into people touching my toes, as I have this freaky skin thing that happens sometimes and I almost always have an ingrown toenail that I don't want anyone messing with. but that's the kind of thing I'm thinking of.

maybe a facial. I had one before but it did, really, nothing for me. maybe it was just a bad facial? can one make a facial appointment on such short notice and actually have it be good? what constitutes a good facial? (I am sure it's nothing like the "facial" that I have been receiving from bella lately, as she's perfected spraying the contents of her dinner at me by blowing what I can only describe as gigantic raspberries with full on tongue engagement while her mouth is full of baby food. is that even a raspberry then? it should definitely have a better name, as raspberry sounds cute. this isn't exactly cute. it's like she's sharting with her mouth. how's that for a mental picture?? ew, I know, I know.)

this is my prediction: in an effort to find the perfect thing to do, I will squander the entire day sitting around, moving stuff from one area of the house to another. perhaps I will just break down and clean out my car in an effort to actually have something to say when people ask what I did all day. at least I weeded the front garden yesterday so that's not an option. I would feel like the biggest jackass if I was like "oh, yes, on my lovely day off from life, I weeded the garden. yeah. weeded. the 'garden'. as in the 5 plants in front of our tiny house. all day. that's what I did."

anyway. let's talk bella. she's a little faker, that one. she can totally roll over. she rolled from one direction to the other so quickly the other day - and then looked at me like "oh shit, did you see that? pretend you didn't see that." why would she hide this talent from me? I think it's because she knows that if I catch on that she can move all over the place, I'll watch her more closely. which, no I won't.

she also is waving more often. before, I wasn't sure if she was waving on purpose or just moving her arms around. I think she's doing it on purpose. but, of course, she won't do it all the time. and she is babbling constantly. screaming at baseball games (she likes when everyone yells and wants to join in) and singing to herself in the grocery store, just gabbing away all the time. it's cute. I have to drag out our video camera at some point to save it - because I don't want to forget what it all sounds like.

so - you won't hear from me tomorrow. and sean's gone for the weekend. we will see you next week and I'll tell you all about my day off and all the wonderful weeding and car cleaning that got done.

7 validations:

Anonymous said...

When I have these days to myself I tend to squander them playing boggle on the internet, baking, and playing with the cats. I rarely get anything "grand" done. Maybe you are more energetic than I am. Good luck.

NME said...

I should have told you to read. That is what I would like to do - READ. Of course when I attempt reading it turns into sleeping. Which is also an excellent thing to do. I haven't woken up by myself in eight months.

But the weed sounds good too. Ha!

Missuz J said...

I hope you find something perfect to do. For me, it would be reading and shopping--some place I could never take a toddler. Have fun!

Katy said...

Go get a massage. That's what I'd do if I had a day to squander. Oh wait...I do...Maybe I will :). Or like everyone else, read, which I have already done for like 2 hours and plan on doing for at least one more. Also, since you mentioned writing in your last comment to me you could find a quiet spot in the shade somewhere and start that book.

A Man without a Band said...

I'll be curious to hear what you did (as I'm sure will be a few others. In Vegas, they could be placing bets. "I got twenty that says she did nothing grand at all.")

Actually today I got off work early for a change, affording me the time to catch up on all my friend's blogs, do some illegal stuff, and partake in my guiltiest pleasure. "Judge Judy" and "Judge Joe Brown." I'm not sure why I'm so fascinated by the parade of idiocy (and sometimes it's just too much to watch), but I like to try and figure out who's lying. Stupid people have a barrage of "tells."

Sometimes doing absolutely nothing is the best thing to do.

I read your husbands correction, and then laughed aloud when I saw the title of the next post. I figured he just misspelled it somewhere in the post.

Hope your weekend goes well.

A Man without a Band said...

oh yeah, having an 11 year old girl in the house, I also laughed aloud when I read your comment about Trent not having a hard time pretending you don't exist (especially considering my pre-teen isn't actually my daughter).

I'm pleased to say that I've laughed out loud by myself a few times today. That's when I know something is truly funny.

dasereht said...

So... what did you do?