10.18.2006

down a few pegs

so for the last few weeks, I've been feeling pretty good about myself. I've been steadily decreasing in pants size, which is pretty huge for me. granted, most of that is stress, but however it happened, it happened. so I've been feeling pretty hot-mama lately. and then...

so I'm in the pharmacy yesterday. it was right after work, and I was dressed nicely with my black dress coat on. I was looking at ponytail holders and a woman who works at the pharmacy comes up to me and asks if I need help finding anything. I say no. she then says, "oh, so you're expecting?"

flashes through my mind:

  • expecting what, to win the lottery?
  • expecting to KICK YOUR ASS
  • why, yes, yes I am.
  • how do you even get the nerve up to ask something like that?
  • FUCK. YOU.

what I actually say:
  • no

then she says, "oh, sorry." and I say, because I am a big fat wuss, "oh, that's okay!"

dude. DUDE. how do you even say that to someone? and?? HOW FAT AM I, REALLY??

edited to add: I was nowhere near anything that is remotely pregnancy related, and she looked me up and down before asking. also...montreal is this weekend.

10 validations:

Mrs. P said...

Wow girl that sucks. You know it could have been the way you were standing. I am sure you are not fat.
And hasnt that girl learned anything??? Even if a woman looks like she has a basketball under her shirt, you still never ask if she is pregnant.
My cousin is 12, I just taught her that lesson. My friend is pregnant and when I introduced them I said, "she's going to have a baby." My cousin said, "I can see that." Then I told her, you never ask...
Anyways, how was Montreal? You feeling any better?

hazel said...

aw, sorry...montreal is this weekend. I never clarified, did I? I'm an ass. sorry.

Jen said...

I can't believe she said that to you. You weren't looking at something right next to the prenatal vitamins in the pharmacy or anything were you? Maybe something like that confused her.

~A~ said...

I don't even ask obvious pregnant women about their pregnancy.

But that was nice of you not to make a big deal about it because I'm sure she felt like an ass. And if she didn't then she is an ass.

Kathryn said...

What an idiot of the first order. I would like to smack her on your behalf. You are beautiful.

NME said...

Maybe you were holding your stomach? I find I still do that all the time and it is one of those things that mostly pregnant women do.
Either way, clearly that woman is a moron.

lonna said...

I can't even imagine that someone would say that to you. What an idiot. You were beautiful and definitely not-pregnant looking before you went down these few sizes. Moron.

Stine said...

See, things like that make me want to answer, "well it's actually a tumor and I have 4 months to live..." and then calmly walk away.

I'm sorry you had to hear this honey.

Missuz J said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You NEVER ask a woman if she's pregnant, unless by chance you happen to be in the delivery room and the baby is crowning.

This has happened to me more times than I care to share. Bitch.

OMH said...

Gotta say I think Stine has the right idea.

A comment like that doesn't even rate the "Why do you ask?" answer that my mom taught me to say instead of "It's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!"

I have your back lets go kick some rude butt!